[Buildroot] The uClibc saga: next steps

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:48:10 UTC 2014

All,

At the last buildroot developer days, we discussed the uClibc
situation at length [1]. We finally decided to try, once more, to take
it up with the uClibc community, requesting them to make a release. We
told them that we are considering to stop using uClibc as the default
C library in Buildroot.

Unfortunately, this approach failed to work, as did previous attempts.
The discussion on the uClibc mailing list is at [2].

Hence, I think it is time to discuss the next steps, which could possibly be:
- create a 'fork' of uClibc that just makes releases out of the
existing code in the uClibc sources.
- go forward with the plan to stop using uClibc as default C library,
and either promote musl or (e)glibc.
- (other possible steps here...)

What do you think?

[1] http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysFOSDEM2014#How_to_handle_the_uClibc_problem