[Buildroot] About static linking

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Apr 24 07:16:26 UTC 2014

Dear Baruch Siach,

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:29:11 +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:

> > This is not at all against your patch specifically, but I'm a bit
> > worried about all the static linking related kludges we add all over
> > the place. Is this normal? Shouldn't we fix the packages themselves and
> > submit patches upstream?
>
> Upstream submission is of course preferable. In this case upstream does not
> appear to be very active. The current release is from 2008, while development
> started at 2007.
>
> Do you prefer a Makefile patch that could theoretically be upstreamed?

I must say I don't know. In fact, I was not necessarily speaking
specifically of this particular change, but more generally about all
the LIBS='-lfoo' we're adding all over the place to fix static linking
problems. This seems a bit fragile to me.

And the point of raising this question was specifically to get a
discussion started, and see the opinion of others (Gustavo, Peter,
Arnout, Yann, etc.).

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons