[Buildroot] About i386 Architecture and Grub2

lee choon gay choongay at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 02:31:49 UTC 2014

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I build the code with settings below.
menuconfig -> Filesystem images -> ext4.
menuconfig -> Filesystem images -> tar the root filesystem.
menuconfig -> System configuration -> Init system with Busybox (default).
menuconfig -> Toolchain -> Buildroot toolchain (default).
menuconfig -> Toolchain -> C library uClibc (default).

Steps to build the partitions.
1) I use sudo dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1 of=/dev/sdb to wipe out the original partition in my pendrive.
2) sudo fdisk -l will shows /dev/sdb doesn't contain
 a valid partition table.
3) To recreate the partition, I use sudo fdisk /dev/sdb.
4) I enter n for new partition, p for primary, label partition as 1, default minimum for first sector, 5000000 for last sector.
5) Then enter n again to create second partition, p for primary, label partition as 2, 5000001 for first sector, default maximum for last sector.
6) Then enter w to write the partition table.
7) Power cycle the pendrive.
8) I format the partitions using sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1 and sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb2.
9) I sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/leecgy/temp1 and sudo chmod a+rw /home/leecgy/temp1 to enable writing to partition 1.
10) Then sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /home/leecgy/temp2 and sudo chmod a+rw /home/leecgy/temp2 to enable writing to partition 2.
11) I right click and create new folder called boot in partition 1, then right click and copy paste the bzImage into boot folder.
12) Then right click and create new folder
 called grub in boot folder, then right click and copy paste the grub.cfg into grub folder.
13) I sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/home/leecgy/temp1/boot /dev/sdb to install grub.
14) I right click and extract the rootfs.tar, then right click and copy paste the contents inside rootfs into partition 2.

When trying to boot up, the code dump a lot of error and stuck. I cannot shift+page up to see the top of the error.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.