[Buildroot] What's the buildroot attitude to u-boot building?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 01:53:06 UTC 2014

Hi All

I am having a look at adding some stuff to generate a signed pre-loader for
the SoCFPGA architecture.

There seem to be two options to doing this:
1) Have it fall out of building u-boot (probably the best option once the
patches I'm pushing into u-vboot have settled down)
2) Make an independent build like xloader (probably a better interum
solution), since for now the SocFPGA preloader building is still somewhat
haphazard and needs a magic version of u-boot.

Looking through all the u-boot config stuff makes me wonder why some of the
stuff is even there.

For instance, why are there things like  BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_ETHADDR?
Overriding elements of the u-boot config header by patching over them from
a complete different config system (buildroot) seems to be asking for
trouble.

Surely it would be far better for people to edit their u-boot config
headers?

Can someone explain the rationale behind doing this sort of config in
buildroot?

Thanks

CHarles