[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Anton Kolesov Anton.Kolesov at synopsys.com
Fri Feb 7 14:00:39 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

> >        arc |              dmraid-1.0.0.rc15 | NOK |
> http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/ef6a0e2d382ae202bb8f0e9fc9f5e48c9
> 0119faf/
>
> Internal compiler error. Ryan has sent a patch to disable the dmraid
> build on ARC for now, but it would be good if the ARC team could have a
> look at this. Cc'ing Anton.

We have two compiler patches internally which resolve several failures in autobuild. I'm waiting for compiler engineer to merge those patches into main branch, so I can update commit referenced in Buildroot. I expect this to happen next week.

> >        arc |                  libpfm4-4.3.0 | NOK |
> http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/59cefaba9d382f0de17b5dccb2d88fc74
> d36f520/
>
> task.c: In function 'read_groups':
> task.c:110:5: error: format '%zd' expects argument of type 'signed size_t', but
> argument 4 has type 'ssize_t' [-Werror=format=]
>      evt, new_sz, ret);
>      ^
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> make[2]: *** [task.o] Error 1
>
>  -> We should build this package without treating warning as error.

However variables of type "signed size_t" cannot be declared (at least for ARC) so there is a misinformation from GCC, and on the same test case GCC for x86_64 doesn't emit a warning at all, while ARC emits. Both GCC's are version 4.8. So it seems to be something ARC-specific. I've filed an internal bug report to investigate. Though I also have no objections if this package will be compiled without -Werror.

Anton Kolesov