[Buildroot] How to get the kernel to mount a rootfs without an initramfs ?? (2)

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Feb 16 23:10:35 UTC 2014

On 13/02/14 09:40, Frank Ihle wrote:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "mmcblk0" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I believe that partitioning doesn't lead to the solution, since booting
> with the same settings but with an initramfs is possible.
>
> I found out that when booting with the initramfs image, when I do an ls
> /dev neither mmcblk nor sdb is listed.
>
> After hitting dmesg following interesting lines appear:
>
> mmc0: clock 0Hz busmode 1 powermode 0 cs 0 Vdd 0 width 0 timing 0

 I'm not familiar with the Atmel MCI controller, but my gut feeling says
that all these zeroes are a bad sign.

 As I said before: you should check the BSP for your board, there is
probably something wrong there.

 For sure, this issue is not buildroot-related. It's purely kernel-related.

 Regards,
 Arnout

> atmel_mci atmel_mci.0: Atmel MCI controller at 0xf0008000 irq 12, 1 slots
> mmc_host mmc0: card is not present
> mmc1: clock 0Hz busmode 1 powermode 0 cs 0 Vdd 0 width 0 timing 0
> atmel_mci atmel_mci.1: Atmel MCI controller at 0xf000c000 irq 26, 1 slots
> mmc_host mmc1: card is not present
>
> (Yes the card is in the slot ;)
[snip]