[Buildroot] Analysis of VLC build failures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Feb 25 18:14:28 UTC 2014

Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 08:15:32 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  My feeling is that vlc is currently not in a state that we can release
> it. I have no issue with including some package that doesn't work very
> well in a release, but for a flagship package like vlc I think it's
> important that we really get it right. And currently we don't.

That's fine with me, mark it as "depends on BR2_BROKEN" for example.
Add a big fat comment above it that details all the reasons you listed
in your e-mail, so that the next people interested in vlc will find out
precisely why it's marked as broken.

What however annoys me is that we don't have a clear adopter/maintainer
for this package. Simon said he initially did the work, but that he is
no longer interested in the package. So what I fear is that the package
may remain in a broken state for quite a while.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons