[Buildroot] powerpc64 support

Danny Gale Daniel.Gale at coloradoengineeringinc.com
Thu Jan 30 18:11:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We have used buildroot in the past to build filesystems for 32-bit
powerpc's with great success. Our newest boards are using 64-bit
powerpc's, however. Using menuconfig with buildroot 2013-11, I don't see
a target architecture for powerpc64. Is there support for 64-bit powerpc's?

We're using an externally-generated toolchain, which is compiled for
64-bit powerpc's, specifically the e6500 core
(powerpc64-e6500-linux-gnu-). Will selecting powerpc but using this
64-bit toolchain generate 64-bit filesystems? I don't see the e6500
listed as a supported Target Architecture Variant either, but I believe
it can run 32-bit code generated for the e500 cores.

Thanks for your help,
Danny