[Buildroot] Why is sysroot under i686-buildroot-linux-gnu?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Jan 4 21:28:32 UTC 2014

Dear Bryce Schober,

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:54:09 -0800, Bryce Schober wrote:
> I'm using a custom external toolchain built by crosstool-ng that's a
> fairly ordinary configuration, other than using an old gcc-4.3 and
> glibc-2.9, ending up with a i686-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain.
>
> Why does buildroot end up installing the toolchain sysroot under
> output/host/usr/i686-buildroot-linux-gnu instead of under
> output/host/usr/i686-unknown-linux-gnu?

Just because we set the vendor part of the tuple to "Buildroot" to
distinguish the Buildroot compiler/sysroot from the one of the original
toolchain. There is no strong need for this, it's just a bit nicer.

> This is causing some problems in some of my external makefiles I have
> that expect the sysroot dir to match the toolchain tuple...

They do: in host/usr/bin/, you have a compiler whose tuple matches the
sysroot directory name.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons