[Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sun Jan 5 17:17:02 UTC 2014

Thomas, Floris, All,

On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
[--SNIP--]
> > [1/2] makebootfat: new package
> > Floris Bos <bos at je-eigen-domein.nl>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112
>
> I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
>   - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
>   - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
>     image files.

It seems I've spoken a bit fast on that one. There's one thing this
package provides that is not provided by dosfstools or mtools: an MBR
bootcode.

However, we already have syslinux, which does provide an MBR bootcode.
It's currently not installed; it's just a matter of adding one more
option to syslinux, to install its MBR bootcode.

So, my previous position still stands: we already have the required
packages; no need to duplicate what we already have.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.