[Buildroot] [RFC 1/3] Rename package mpc to libmpc

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Tue Jul 22 17:02:47 UTC 2014

Gustavo, Jörg, All,

On 2014-07-22 07:20 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias spake thusly:
> On 07/22/2014 05:23 AM, Jörg Krause wrote:
> > okay, I understand that renaming is potentially problematic. But the
> > package mpc is not a dependency for any package. gmp is a dependency for
> > eight packages, and mpfr for one.
> >
> > Looking at Debian, Arch, and Fedora, these packages are all named
> > libmpc, libgmp, and libmpfr. I liked the idea of having consistent
> > package names. And if I am searching for mpc in the menuconfig I find
> > the multiprecision library as libmpc and the mpd client as mpc. So it's
> > not to difficult to find the right package.
>
> Well in gentoo mpfr is mpfr and so no, not prepended by lib since there
> are categories which allows for duplicate naming.
> The problem is if someone uses mpc in their custom packages, there's no
> easy way of warning about the rename.

Not only that, but users re-using a .config from a previous Buildroot
version would also be a problem.

We can not have a legacy symbol for mpc as our previous "libmpc" and a
new symbol for mpc as the new package "mpd client", since that would be
the same symbol.

So, I agree with Thomas here: we should not rename the current mpc, and
find an alternate name for the new mpc.

> > There are dozen of clients for mpd. At least calling the package
> > "mpclient" will show my the package when searching for "mpc" in the
> > menuconfig.
> Yes that was the idea, mpclient doesn't sound right, but search works,
> we could as well use mpcclient for example.

Or mpd-mpc.

> > Btw, is there any rule for duplicate names?
> There's no rule for duplicates, best effort comes to mind.

Untold policy is: first come, first served. ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.