[Buildroot] No ldconfig on target when using glibc

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jul 23 19:52:14 UTC 2014

Dear Eric Le Bihan,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:27:01 +0200, Eric Le Bihan wrote:

> Since version 215, systemd installs a unit file to run /sbin/ldconfig when
> starting the target. Building a target image with systemd implies using a
> glibc-based toolchain. But when doing so, ldconfig is not installed on the
> target, which causes the unit to fail (the system is usable, though).
>
> On the other hand, when building a target image with uClibc, ldconfig is
> installed.
>
> Is it a bug or a feature? Am I missing something?

The ldconfig handling needs love. We even try to run ldconfig on the
build machine at the end of the build, and we have a very old patch
sitting about this: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/255486/.

Someone needs to look which C library needs ldconfig, and which
doesn't, and take actions to clean this up.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons