[Buildroot] new TI kernel version for beaglebone black

Yegor Yefremov yegorslists at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:45:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Jerônimo Lopes <lopesjeronimo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 30.05.2014 23:18, Dan Pattison wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have a question that is probably not 100% buildroot related, but was
>>> hoping to get some help. I am using buildroot to
>>> build a kernel and rootFS for a beaglebone black. Buildroot is awesome
>>> and builds everything fine. The board boots up
>>> and all packages work properly. Unfortunately, USB seems to be badly
>>> broken. In the kernel I have USB driver enabled and
>>> USB Announce New Devices turned on. Googling around I find several people
>>> with the same problem, hotplug does not work
>>> at all, and no device I have tried shows up in dmesg or lsusb on cold or
>>> warm boot. A band aid is to use a powered USB
>>> hub (have not tried that). Some guys on the beagleboard.org IRC say to
>>> try a newer kernel version (3.14 or >) because
>>> beaglebone USB is fixed in newer kernel versions. Current buildroot
>>> beaglebone black kernel version is 3.12.10
>>>
>>> In buildroot I used make beaglebone_defconfig.
>>> Under the Kernel menu, Custom Git repository is selected.
>>> The git URL is https://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
>>

>> BTW, does someone know how this repository relates to
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git?
>>
>> Is the ti-linux-kernel repository _THE_ reference for TI kernels or
>> are there better starting points?
>>
>> When looking for kernel sources also the Arago projects pops up and
>> for sure Linaro.
>>
>> Does someone have a link or an explanation how all these repositories
>> relate?
>> That would be great!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Peter
>>

>>> The custom repository version is 7f280334068b7c875ade51f8f3921ab311f0c824
>>> The def config is board/beaglebone/linux-3.12.config
>>>
>>> How was the custom repository number
>>> (7f280334068b7c875ade51f8f3921ab311f0c824) derived? Looking on the TI
>>> gitorious
>>> site, I see they are working on kernel 3.15. How can I make buildroot use
>>> the newer version? How do I find the newer
>>> custom repository version? I tried to find my answer with google, but I
>>> must not be using the correct search term.
>>> Please excuse the newbish questions.
>>>
>>> Thank you,

> Hi, I would like to add more questions on the discussion, that again is not
> related to buildroot. First off all I'm really a newbie on embedded linux
> development.
>
> I'm also working on a beaglebone black project using buildroot to build all.
> Recently I need to change some pin modes, and every googling about it, leads
> to capemanager, witch is provided by 'beagleboard kernel'
> (https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel). Also every one saying something
> about compile a kernel to beaglebone points to this kernel (the 3.8
> version).
>
> So I've decided to change things on my project to build this kernel outside
> buildroot. But I'm not sure about this, witch is the recommended kernel to
> [...]

I'd say, just use the latest kernel
(https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/testing/linux-3.15-rc8.tar.xz)
and your custom DTS file to reflect your pinmux. Also take a look at
FIT concept (http://elinux.org/images/f/f4/Elc2013_Fernandes.pdf),
where you can embed multiple DTB files for different configurations.

Yegor