[Buildroot] ICU 51.2 bus error

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Jun 9 16:47:55 UTC 2014

Dear Massimo Callegari,

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 16:43:26 +0100 (BST), Massimo Callegari wrote:

> I'm having a serious issue with ICU 51.2 on a MIPS platform.
> Everything builds fine but anyone using ICU at runtime gets a misterious "bus error" fault.
> At first I thought it was my Qt 5.3.0 build, but then I realized even the simple "icuinfo" tool fails with the same error.
> The root filesystem is mounted on NFS but I hope that's not the cause.
>

> I enclose a strace run of the icuinfo command at the end of this email.
> From the trace it seems the lookup of file "/usr/lib/icu/icuplugins51.txt" is the cause of all the evil, but I tried to manually create it and nothing changes.
> I double checked on my PC and it doesn't even exist, even though the icuinfo command works properly.
>
> I'm afraid this is a cross-compilation thing, but I can't figure out myself what it might be.
> Does anyone have any idea or is able to find the issue from the trace below ?

First of all, thanks for your report!

Could you run "ulimit -c unlimited" on your target, and then your
command? It will generate a "core" file that you can transfer on your
development machine, and then do:

	./host/usr/mips-<blabla>-gdb -c core target/usr/bin/icuinfo

and then run the "backtrace" command in gdb, to see where the crash
occurred.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons