[Buildroot] Upgrading my defconfig

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jun 10 19:47:57 UTC 2014

Dear Dallas Clement,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:11:24 -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> Hi All,  Would someone kindly guide me through the steps of upgrading my
> defconfig?  It's a few years out of date.  I've upgraded the rest of
> buildroot itself, and when I try to save my defconfig the makefile
> complains bitterly:
>
> $ make savedefconfig
> Makefile.legacy:12: *** "You have legacy configuration in your .config!
> Please check your configuration.".  Stop.

I know you replied to your own e-mail, but for the record: this means
your configuration has old Buildroot options that have been removed
since then. You should therefore run "make menuconfig", and look into
the "Legacy options" submenu to see which old options you're using.
Buildroot wants you to disable them manually so that you're aware of
their disappearance, and you have some help on how to migrate to the
new name of the option if applicable.

We should probably change the error message here to something more
explanatory.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons