[Buildroot] [RFCv1 0/4] Generating a graph of the size installed by each package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jun 24 20:11:00 UTC 2014

Dear Luca Ceresoli,

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 21:54:17 +0200, Luca Ceresoli wrote:

> >   The reason is explained a bit further in that cover letter: we only do
> > stripping and removing of redundant stuff in the finalize step, so calculating
> > the size before that doesn't make much sense.
>
> Aaah, yes, stripping! Of course! I was sure there is a good reason...

Well really it's not only stripping. It's all the things that
target-finalize is doing: stripping of course, but also removing .h
files, .a files, documentation, unneeded locales, and more.

Therefore, my approach was more to really only at the files that are in
output/target/ (and their size) at the end of the build and then try to
match the packages they are coming from.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons