[Buildroot] Glibc LD_LIBRARAY_PATH error

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Jun 28 15:44:20 UTC 2014

Dear Panahi Parsa,

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 20:06:30 +0430, Panahi Parsa wrote:

> my problem was solved by your solution I mean using "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

Ok. I'm not sure why we don't simply unset the LD_LIBRARY_PATH from our
main Makefile. Probably we should just do it.

> solved the problem now I have 5 files in my output/images folder.
> 1). bzImage  2) grub.img   3)  rootfs.cpio    4). rootfs.iso9660
>  5)rootfs.tar

Right.

> I've configured buildroot for making a custom linux image for Corei7 and I
> expected to give me only one .iso file and not 5 different files !!

Well, the tarball has been created because your configuration has the
tarball image enabled. The other files are normal: bzImage is the
kernel image, grub.img is the bootloader, rootfs.cpio is the root
filesystem as cpio, and rootfs.iso9660 is the final ISO image, which
bundles the kernel image and root filesystem.

>  The
> .iso file size as you've said in your lecture on youtube is only 16 MByte
> and not 700 MB like ubuntu official releases. Now I got stuck in a dizzy
> state about build root :
>
> 1). Does burning rootfs.iso9660  into a DVD and running it from my DVD ROM
> install my customized ubuntu or I should do something else ?

How can you believe a system generated by Buildroot will install a
"customized ubuntu". Buildroot has nothing to do with Ubuntu, Buildroot
is meant to build from source highly customized embedded Linux systems.
The minimal system only has Busybox (shell and basic command line
utilities). Any other component you may want has to be enabled in "make
menuconfig".

> 2). I want to have a small graphic environment like the one used in
> Angstrom Distribution is it possible to have that in build root ?

We have packages for X.org and Matchbox, which is what Angstrom is
using. You'll have to enable them in "make menuconfig". Though be aware
that Buildroot is not a tool that builds systems that work out of the
box: it merely builds all the packages needed, but there is often some
configuration files and other specific customization needed to make
everything work properly on a given hardware platform.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons