[Buildroot] Drivers for Realtek WLAN dongles

Stephan Hoffmann sho at relinux.de
Mon Jun 30 10:52:31 UTC 2014

Hello Thomas!
On 30.06.2014 12:17, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Stephan Hoffmann,
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:35:34 +0200, Stephan Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> did anyone download and compile drivers from realtek's website using
>> buildroot?
>>
>> While
>> http://www.armadeus.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_to_WiFi_adapter#Chipset_RTL8188CUS
>> gives a recipe to do this by hand I need an integration in buildroot for
>> my current project.
>>
>> I searched the web but did not find anything, but maybe someone has a
>> not yet published solution. If not I will start my own patchset for this.
> Are you sure you need an out-of-tree driver for this? I see the
> mainline rtlwifi driver supports a number of rtl8188cus dongles. Which
> specific model do you have? Which USB vendor/product ID?
I am stuck to the 3.0.35 kernel for i.MX6 because the board vendor did
not provide a more recent kernel yet.

I tried the driver that the kernel loads when I plugged in the dongle,
that is (on the buildroot system)

# lsmod
rtl8192cu              90081  0
rtlwifi                65735  1 rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common        53218  1 rtl8192cu
mac80211              153566  3 rtl8192cu,rtlwifi,rtl8192c_common

lsusb on my development workstation says: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek
Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

The driver brings up wlan0, looking good at the first view, but
wpa_supplicant cannot connect to the AP.

Using realtek's out-of-tree driver that I built by hand (named 8192cu)
the connection works well with nothing else changed. So my conclusion is
that the built in driver does not work for this dongle.

BTW: it is the 150 MBps dongle from CSL-Computer.com.

Kind regards

Stephan

--
reLinux     -    Stephan Hoffmann