[Buildroot] [lua V3 0/8] lua

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Mar 1 23:02:32 UTC 2014

Dear Francois Perrad,

On Sat,  1 Mar 2014 18:23:01 +0100, Francois Perrad wrote:

> Francois Perrad (8):
>   luajit: refactor without dont-strip.patch
>   luajit: refactor without shared-lib.patch
>   luajit: handles BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB
>   luajit: add host variant
>   luainterpreter: add host variant
>   luarocks: allow to work with host-luainterpreter

For all these patches, and especially the last three ones, I want
commit logs. I really do appreciate _a lot_ all the work you're doing
on Lua and Perl, it's really awesome. And I really mean it. But you
need to work on improving your commit logs. For now, we have no idea
*why* you're doing these changes.

All the other core developers are doing efforts to write long,
descriptive commit logs, and experience has shown that they are
immensely useful 6 or 12 months later when we got back in the Git
history to understand why things were done. Look at what they do, and
follow the basic rule of thumb that any non-trivial patch should have
at least 2 or 3 paragraphs in its commit log explaining *why* the
change is being made.

At this point, I have no idea what you are doing. I presume patches 4
and 5 are preparations for patch 6, but I don't understand what patch 6
is doing, and nowhere it is mentioned why patches 4 and 5 are needed.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons