[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Mar 3 10:27:32 UTC 2014

Dear Samuel Martin,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:19:12 +0100, Samuel Martin wrote:

> > Ok, cool. What approach have you chosen?
>
> I added a variable-knob to the pkg-python infra named
> $(2)_FORCE_HOST_PYTHON (name can be debated later :P) which set the
> proper host python dependency, and call the proper python interpreter
> during build and install steps.
>
> This variable only affects host packages.
>
> If the some configure/build/install commands are overloaded in th *.mk
> file, the right python interpreter should be explicitly called.
> If the package define some tool variable (eg.: SCONS), the variable
> should explicitly called the right python interpreter.
>
> That's roughly the headlines.

Seems like a good approach. I'm a bit worried about Python 3 stuff
which might fall back on using $(HOST_DIR)/usr/bin/python instead of
$(HOST_DIR)/usr/bin/python3, though, but I'm not sure there's much we
can do about it, except getting autobuilder testing, and user testing.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons