[Buildroot] [RFC, PATCH 2/8] package/dropbear: Add separate configuration options for client and server

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Tue Mar 4 01:51:13 UTC 2014

Hi Gustavo,

>> There are some scenarios where there's no point starting a SSH server
>> (in my case, it's because there's no persistent storage, so no
>> persistent host keys). However, I'd still like a ssh/scp client to be
>> available.
>
> Well you'll want at least one of the options of dropbear, there's no
> point in excluding both.
> My common sense tells me you'll always want the client anyway, it's no
> security threat or space-consuming menace, so why not add just a SERVER
> option maybe?
> BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR -> builds and install the client portion.
> BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_SERVER -> installs the server bits (default=y for
> compatibility reasons).

That sounds pretty good to me too. I'd be happy to implement whatever
the general consensus is :)

>> But isn't something that will go upstream and be available in a
>> defconfig, right?
>
> That's still open to debate, until now all defconfigs were supposed to
> be minimal, but there's a growing consensus that featured or demo
> defconfigs are desired and useful.

OK, understood.

If the defconfig isn't upstream, I'd need to provide both a config and a
postinst script, and whoever is replicating the build needs to point the
config to the postinst script correctly. Having the dropbear server
available as a simple config option allows me to either use a defconfig,
or provide a single defconfig file, to allow others to build a
petitboot-compatible builtroot image, without having to mess around too
much.

Cheers,

Jeremy