[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Alvaro Gamez alvaro.gamez at hazent.com
Wed Mar 5 14:37:09 UTC 2014

Hi all

thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:

> /home/test/test/1/output/host/usr/bin/sh-linux-gnu-gcc  -shared
>> -Wl,-soname,libxmlrpc_xmltok.so.3  xmltok.osh xmlrole.osh  -o
>> libxmlrpc_xmltok.so.3.25
>> xmltok.osh: file not recognized: File truncated

I've discovered there is a race condition on libxmlrpc Makefile set.
When I sent this patch I tested it on a single core machine, but when
running on a multicore machine, buildroot has set my jobs level to 4, the
same as in the build failure above.

So, when invoking make -j 1, libxmlrpc builds fine, but with -j 4 it fails.

Upstream tries to support parallel builds, but it still fails due to this
reason.

 I face two options here: should I repair upstream's set of Makefile's or
should I patch buildroots' libxmlrpc.mk in order to force linear build? Is
this even possible, or a good practice, to change BR2_JLEVEL inside
libxmlrpc.mk to avoid this?

Anyway, I think I'm going to try and fix libxmlrpc makefiles, for it seems
to be, although not the fastest approach, the best way for all users of
libxmlrpc, but I am open to modify buildroots' libxmlrpc.mk in order to fix
this by changing JLEVEL as soon as possible.

Regards

--
Álvaro Gámez Machado