[Buildroot] Different site methods for the main package and patches

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Mar 26 22:37:12 UTC 2014

Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 18:46:16 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  You're probably right about that. The problem is that the DOWNLOAD macro
> cannot know if it is given a patch or the package itself. So it should
> probably be changed to get _SITE_METHOD as an optional argument.
>
>  Yann, perhaps you could take that up into your download method rework
> series?

Generally speaking, I'm a bit unhappy about how things work on the
download front:

 *) I don't really understand why we have a separation between _SITE
    and _SOURCE, and why our infra assumes that _PATCH is relative to
    _SITE. Why don't we simply make _SOURCE and _PATCH full URLs
    instead? This way _PATCH can list multiple patches coming from
    different locations, not necessarily the upstream location of the
    package.

 *) Why is the DOWNLOAD macro looking at _SITE_METHOD ? It believe it
    should be a macro that remains independent of the package
    infrastructure, and it should simply take as argument the
    information that it needs, rather than poking directly into
    _SITE_METHOD.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons