[Buildroot] Fwd: Fwd: how to assign cpp and c++ in buildroot?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:57:44 UTC 2014

Hi Cem,

(please don't top-post, put your reply below the mail you are answering)

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM, cem akpolat <akpolatcem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Thomas,
>

> I added two packages to buildroot, however, the compilation issue doesn't
> stem from them. Nevertheless, I have removed them and did make distclean and
> then compile it again.
> the compilation result is below. I didn't touch package/Makefile.in. The
> problem is that I am seeing it everywhere (on other PCs). I will send you
> another make result on my other pc.

Can you send the output of following commands, executed from the same
shell in which you run 'make' in buildroot?

env | grep -i cpp
echo $TARGET_CPP
grep -rn TARGET_CPP package/Makefile.in

and could you add the following line to package/Makefile.in, just
above TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS (line 236 approximately), start the build
the same way as you do normally, and then post the output of that
@@@@@ line too?

 $(warning @@@@@@@ TARGET_CPP value='$(TARGET_CPP)' origin='$(origin
TARGET_CPP)')

In my case, env returns nothing, the echo returns nothing, the grep returns
$ grep -rn TARGET_CPP package/Makefile.in
136:TARGET_CPPFLAGS += -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
139:TARGET_CFLAGS = $(TARGET_CPPFLAGS) $(TARGET_ABI)
$(TARGET_OPTIMIZATION) $(TARGET_DEBUGGING)
177:TARGET_CPP      = $(TARGET_CROSS)cpp
243:            CPP="$(TARGET_CPP)" \
265:            CPPFLAGS="$(TARGET_CPPFLAGS)" \

and the build with extra line:

package/Makefile.in:234: @@@@@@@ TARGET_CPP
value='/home/tdescham/repo/contrib/buildroot-misc/output/host/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-cpp'
origin='file'

This output should help us in understanding your issue better.

Thanks,