[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2014-10-04

Matthew Weber matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Oct 7 16:30:00 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:48 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Matthew Weber,
>
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 14:45:07 -0500, Matthew Weber wrote:
>
>> >      powerpc |                 protobuf-2.6.0 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/3c1c620684a23b4cbb1cfa560096094cd9bf09ec/
>> >      powerpc |                 protobuf-2.6.0 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/f1b70ebabd587987547424a21eefc530317026cd/
>>
>> These powerpc builds use a gcc 4.5 compiler which doesn't provide the
>> generic atomicops implementation which is only exposed if GCC >= 4.7.
>> I looked at the BR2_ARCH_HAS_ATOMICS option as a possible dependency
>> to fix this but it seems like that option is always set if the ARCH
>> supports it.  Not necessarily based on if a toolchain provides a
>> generic.
>
> Gaah, yes. We knew that we introducing the BR2_ARCH_HAS_ATOMICS thing,
> but making it a per-compiler version thing was really too annoying.
>
> Is there a way to build protobuf without those atomic operations, or
> not at all?

Yeah, I believe the GCC version check is arbitrary.  I was going to
take a look at the generic atomics implementations and see if they
were stub functions.  If so, we could patch in a workaround to allow
GCC  >= 4.3 to build (with that being an arbitrarily old compiler
version.....)  or just open it up to any version and test if we get
compiler failures.

--
Matthew L Weber / Pr Software Engineer
Airborne Information Systems / Security Systems and Software

Note: Any Export License Required Information and License Restricted
Third Party Intellectual Property (TPIP) content must be encrypted and
sent to matthew.weber at corp.rockwellcollins.com.