[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2014-10-22

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 23 12:01:56 UTC 2014

Dear Baruch Siach,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:24:16 +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 08:30:16AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> >          arm |                     ipset-6.23 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/2ae233d33b05fac10e9b6676a6ca179c75e4c1d9/
> >     mips64el |                     ipset-6.23 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/4f55c2415281c6204500efe28fe9e24c8ef73863/
>
> I started looking into these build failures and it makes me wonder. The direct
> cause of these failures is a combination of two things. Host header directory,
> /usr/local/include, being used for target build (clearly a bad thing), and
> -Werror. We normally remove -Werror since it is quite useless when you only
> want to build the package. The thing is that ipset add -Werror only when
> configures with --enable-debug, which in turn is triggered by
> BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG. This apparently causes other build issues as well
> (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/400834/). Does it make sense to remove
> -Werror in this case? This is after all what the user asks for when enabling
> BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG. But then again, does it make sense to have the autobuilder
> test BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG, given its relatively high rate of -Werror induced false
> positives?
>
> What do others think?

That is indeed a very good question. In some sense, having -Werror
enabled when --enable-debug is passed is quite legitimate. On the other
hand, the reason I'm testing BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG=y in the autobuilders is
because users could do it, so I prefer to have this case tested as
well. My reasoning is that if we have an option in Buildroot, then it
should be tested and working. Otherwise, we should get rid of the
option.

Maybe the fact that BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG=y passes --enable-debug is wrong?
Maybe BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG=y should really only build all packages with
debugging symbols (passing -g to gcc), and no try to enable per-package
debugging features?

Any input from others? Arnout, Peter?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons