[Buildroot] General questions

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Sep 15 21:27:14 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 12:04, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Sylvain LG <forum at sylvainlegourr.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I develop some projects with Qt and run them on ARM embedded systems. OS is
>> built by Buildroot.
>>
>> Since Qt 5.3.1 and QtCreator 3, GDB must support Python scripting.
>>
>> “The selected build of GDB does not support Python scripting it cannot be
>> used in Qt Creator”
>>

>> I have to recompile gdb with these options:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix /usr/local/gdb-python2 --with-python
>>
>> What is the right way to achieve this?
>
> In package/gdb/gdb.mk, you will have to update the HOST_GDB_CONF_OPT variable.
> You shouldn't add --prefix, but only the --with-python flag.
> Since not everyone will want this python dependency, you probably
> should add an option for this. This is done in
> package/gdb/Config.in.host
>
> I suggest to have a look at the recent TUI support that was added in
> Buildroot for GDB, I think that the way to handle python support is
> very similar, except that instead of host-ncurses as dependency,
> you'll add host-python.

 I'm not sure that we want our own-build host-python... You may want to use some
of the system's python packages, for example. So I think it is better to drop
the host-python dependency, and use the system python instead. (Note that python
is a dependency of buildroot.)

> Additionally, from the Config.in.host file, you'll have to select
> BR2_PACKAGE_PYTHON. Due to this, you'll also need to propagate the

 Huh? We are talking about the host-gdb here, so why do you need a target python?

 One more thing: on AVR we still use gdb 6.7 which doesn't have python support,
so something must be done to catch that.

 Regards,
 Arnout

> dependencies of python (seen in package/python/Config.in) as
> dependencies of your new gdb-python-support option.
> Have a look at http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_literal_config_in_literal_file
> for this part.

[snip]