[Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Apr 10 21:31:01 UTC 2015

On 10/04/15 14:12, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Bernd Kuhls,
>
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:33:39 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a reason an autotools-package should not depend on host-pkgconf?
>>
>> The phrase "host-pkgconf" appears in > 300 packages
>>
>> $ for i in `find -iname *.mk | grep -v pkgconf`; do grep host-pkgconf $i;
>> done | wc -l
>> 313
>>
>> If
>>
>> $(2)_DEPENDENCIES += host-pkgconf
>>
>> is added to package/pkg-autotools.mk we could get rid of all those
>> dependencies in the packages and avoid nasty build errors in the future.
>
> I think it has been discussed in the past, even though I don't remember
> the conclusion. On my side, since I don't like useless dependencies,
> but I recognize that we often forget to add host-pkgconf in the
> dependencies of a number of autotools packages, I made a proposal last
> year: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.uclibc.buildroot/82327.
>
> It checks before building if the package uses PKG_CHECK_MODULES(), and
> verifies that the package properly depends on host-pkgconf in this case.

 I agree that something like that is the way to go.

 However, I would prefer that this kind of stuff:

- goes into scripts in the support/ directory;

- gets called from the GLOBAL_INSTRUMENTATION_HOOKS;

- is selectable with a config option in the Build options menu (which would be
enabled by the autobuilders).

 My reasoning is that the BR infrastructure is already pretty darn complicated,
so it would be good to separate the core infrastructure from the fringe stuff.
And the config option is of course because I prefer to keep the developer stuff
out of the way of normal users.

 Regards,
 Arnout