[Buildroot] Intel Edison support

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Apr 17 07:22:02 UTC 2015

On 17/04/15 00:50, Frank Hunleth wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/04/15 14:33, Frank Hunleth wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have support for the Intel Edison working in Buildroot. It took a while to
>>> figure out everything that Intel's Yocto distribution was doing, but after you
>>> simplify it down, it doesn't seem so bad. I'd send the patch up for review, but
>>> it is dwarfed by two massive patch files on u-boot and the kernel that I had to
>>> copy from Intel's Yocto distro [1]. It seems better if BR could download the
>>> Yocto distro, extract the patch files, and use them when needed. It also doesn't
>>> seem right for BR to have to carry around a couple mega-patches. Is this
>>> possible and is there an example somewhere?
>>>
>>> If you would like to see my current patches for Edison support, they are
>>> available here: https://github.com/fhunleth/buildroot-edison.
>>
>>  There is a github upload of the official Edison yocto layer at [2]. You could
>> download the relevant patches from there with BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH. When you
>> do that, please make sure that the sha is included in the URL, so [3] and not [4].
>
> Thanks. I'll try that for the kernel.
>
> At the moment, u-boot only supports patch directories, so I can't
> download the mega-patch for it. I was going to copy/paste the patch
> support from the kernel, but the kernel's patch support looks more
> involved than I expected. I'm not missing a generic patch macro
> somewhere, am I?

 The complexity for linux is simply because historically it also supports
directories of patches. If you exclude that feature, it's simply:

UBOOT_PATCH += $(call qstrip,$(BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_PATCHES))

 If you do that, we should probably also deprecate the current special handling
of BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_PATCH_DIR.

 Actually, perhaps we should consider extending the BR2_GLOBAL_PATCH_DIR to
support some kind of URL-encoded patches. E.g. *.urlpatch, or dead symlinks to
URLs, or something. Sounds like something for Yann to work on :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout