[Buildroot] Advice on how to build TGT

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Apr 18 16:34:49 UTC 2015

Benedikt, All,

On 2015-04-18 16:14 +0100, Benedikt Riedel spake thusly:
> I am trying to get this application into my buildroot to provide and manage iSCSI targets
>
> [1]http://stgt.sourceforge.net/
>

> The package is compiling/installing, however I am not able to run the service or the binary.
>

> # tgtd
>
> -sh: tgtd: not found
>

> The config.in is fairly simple:
>

> STGT_VERSION= 1.0.57
>
> STGT_SOURCE = v1.0.57.tar.gz
>
> STGT_SITE = https://github.com/fujita/tgt/archive/

Please use the github helper. See the manual:
    http://buildroot.net/downloads/manual/manual.html#github-download-url

> STGT_AUTORECONF = NO

Unneeded since that's the default. Anyway, wrong since it's not an
autotools package (see below).

> STGT_INSTALL_STAGING = NO
> STGT_INSTALL_TARGET = YES

Unneeded, that's the default.

> STGT_DEPENDENCIES = uclibc

Incorrect. And anyway, the dependency on the toolchain is automatic.

> $(eval $(autotools-package))

I'm very surprised this works, since tgt does not have configure, nor
does it have configure.ac or Makefile.am or the other autotools-related
files.

What you want to use is the generic-package infrastructure. See the
manual.

> Any suggestion on what I am missing or an alternative iSCSI target
> that works with kernel >3.18 would be appreciated.

Well, I've had a quick look at tgt, and it seems it will be hard (very
hard) to cross-compile, given the way the Makefiles are written. For
example, there's a ton of things like (in usr/Makefile):

    ifneq ($(shell test -e /usr/include/linux/signalfd.h && echo 1),)
    CFLAGS += -DUSE_SIGNALFD
    endif

which are clearly wrong for cross-compilation.

tgt would indeed be a nice addition, but it would need quite some love
and care... :-/

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.