[Buildroot] Kernel panic - unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0, 0) - i486

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Fri Apr 24 21:49:51 UTC 2015

Pongrácz, All,

[Please, wrap lines at aronf ~72 chars, it's easier to read]

On 2015-04-24 22:34 +0200, Pongrácz István spake thusly:
> I have a problem with booting kernel built by buildroot on i486. The
> kernel (3.18.x) panicked: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:
> Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[--SNIP--]
> I tried to boot from usb.  There is no initramfs (initrd).

For the record so it gets archived on the list, after our discussion
on IRC:

  - add 'rootwait' to the kernel command line, as USB can be pretty slow
    to enumerate the devices on the bus

Kernel seems to wait forever, so:

  - check that all is built-in: USB driver, USB mass-storage, SCSI
    support, SCSI disk support (maybe a few things else...)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.