[Buildroot] Nginx package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Dec 26 14:42:09 UTC 2015

Geoffrey,

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:14:31 +0100, Geoffrey Ragot wrote:

> the pb is that luajit (in the context) is not a builtin module of nginx.
> It has to be built in a directory and nginx has to be compiled with
> "--add-module <path_to_luajit>".
>
> The nginx package has an option to specify "--add-module" arguments but
> in this case, the dependency is not clearly mentionned in nginx.mk.
> I have to care about build luajit before nginx to ensure that
> <path_to_luajit> contains required files.

I see two options here:

 (1) If you really need to have the source of the Nginx Lua module
     extracted before building nginx in order to use the --add-module
     option, then you will have to create a package like nginx-lua,
     that only downloads/extracts the module source code (and does not
     build/install it). Then you change the nginx package to depend on
     this nginx-lua package, and you pass --add-module=$(NGINX_LUA_DIR).

 (2) If however, it is possible to build nginx-lua after nginx, then
     you can do a better and more traditional packaging. Even though
     they document --add-module as being the way of building nginx-lua,
     all it seems to do during nginx configure is calling the "config"
     script from nginx-lua, and then the "config.make" script. So I am
     pretty sure it is possible to build nginx-lua after nginx.

If it is possible, (2) would be preferred.

Note that this is clearly not a trivial package to create.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons