[Buildroot] board-specific autotools env customization

Lionel Orry lionel.orry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:31:57 UTC 2015

Dear all,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
> On 04/02/15 08:52, Lionel Orry wrote:
>> Hi Arnout,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>>  So we would really appreciate if you could check the various flags that zeromq
>>> tries to run and set them to yes if they are available, and send a patch to the
>>> mailing list. I've already checked libzmq_cv_sock_cloexec: SOCK_CLOEXEC was
>>> introduced in 2.6.27 so we can also assume that it's always available. Which
>>> kernel version do you run?
>>>

>> I have this list in here (there are 6 flags, 5 of them are available)
>> for my compiler, so I could make this patch. It won't do anything
>> useful until the acinclude.m4 is patched though, so I suppose the
>> first step is to fix acinclude.m4.
>>
>> I use a 2.6.32 based kernel.
>>
>> For reference, with my current compiler :
>> * compiler version : sh4-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.7.3 20130514
>> (STMicroelectronics/Linux Base 4.7.3-124)
>> * SOCK_CLOEXEC : available
>> * SO_KEEPALIVE : available
>> * TCP_KEEPCNT : available
>> * TCP_KEEPIDLE : available
>> * TCP_KEEPINTVL : available
>> * TCP_KEEPALIVE : not available
>
>  This indeed seems to correspond to the current situation (kernel > 2.6.30).

>>>  Yeah, indeed, you should also patch acinclude.m4 to correctly use a cache
>>> variable with AC_CACHE_VAL and AC_CACHE_CHECK. And that patch should be sent
>>> upstream of course.
>>>

>> I totally agree. But I'm still quite bad at autotools stuff and I
>> don't know how to use AC_CACHE_xxx macros
>> but I'll try to do it anyway. Any hints appreciated, the most clean
>> the patch is, the more chances it will have to hit upstream...
>
> The basic pattern is:
>
> AC_CACHE_CHECK(whether SOCK_CLOEXEC is supported, libzmq_cv_sock_cloexec,
> [AC_TRY_RUN(...)])
>
> and then of course remove the AC_MSG_CHECKING that comes before it. The cache
> variable should be set in the body of the AC_CACHE_CHECK, like it currently is.

Thank you Arnout for your valuable help. I sent a patch to the
mailing-list, and I am preparing the patch for upstream.
I have to adapt it for the current upstream master version (v.4.2.x)
because acinclude.m4 changed, so I can't send it as-is...
Should I try to send the v4.0.x based patch to their maintenance
branch ? They say it's for bugfixes only so I'm pretty sure it will be
rejected.

>  Regards,
>  Arnout
>

> [snip]
>
> --
> Arnout Vandecappelle                          arnout at mind be
> Senior Embedded Software Architect            +32-16-286500
> Essensium/Mind                                http://www.mind.be
> G.Geenslaan 9, 3001 Leuven, Belgium           BE 872 984 063 RPR Leuven
> LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/arnoutvandecappelle
> GPG fingerprint:  7CB5 E4CC 6C2E EFD4 6E3D A754 F963 ECAB 2450 2F1F

Kind regards,
Lionel