[Buildroot] How to avoid rebuilding host-cmake

Ryan Barnett ryan.barnett at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Feb 17 23:02:55 UTC 2015

David,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM, David Kessler <djkessler at utexas.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to reduce the amount of time it takes to rebuild the
> linux kernel and its dependencies.  I am already using the external
> toolchain option (toolchain was originally built using buildroot, but
> in an external directory) so I’m not rebuilding the toolchain
> unnecessarily. However, for some reason after doing ‘make clean’,
> host-cmake has to be rebuilt. For my configuration host-cmake is
> the most time consuming part of the build.

A 'make clean' in the concept of Buildroot delete all build products
(including build directories, host, staging and target trees, the
images and the toolchain). Therefore, an understanding of when a full
rebuild is necessary. Please see the following section in the manual:

http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#full-rebuild

A per package rebuild functionality is availalbe and is described here:

http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#rebuild-pkg

Is it fair to assume that you are trying to do kernel development?

If so, then you should have a look at utilizing the
<pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR functionality that Buildroot has which allows
you to development of a package outside of Buildroot. For more
detailed information on how to use this feature see Section 8.11.6 in
the manual:

http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#_advanced_usage

Lastly, you should take a look at utilizing ccache to speed up your
builds, see Section 8.11.3 in the manual:

http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#_advanced_usage

Thanks,
-Ryan

--
Ryan Barnett / Sr Software Engineer
Airborne Information Systems / Security Systems and Software
ryan.barnett at rockwellcollins.com
www.rockwellcollins.com