[Buildroot] Newbie: git send-emailerror: fatal: 0001-hdf5-new-package.patch: 1277: patch contains a line longer than 998 characters

Williams Jr., Ernest L. ernesto at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 5 00:14:47 UTC 2015

Hi,

From: Yann E. MORIN [yann.morin.1998 at gmail.com] on behalf of Yann E. MORIN [yann.morin.1998 at free.fr]
Sent: Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:08 PM
To: Williams Jr., Ernest L.
Cc: buildroot at busybox.net
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] Newbie: git send-emailerror: fatal: 0001-hdf5-new-package.patch: 1277: patch contains a line longer than 998 characters

Ernesto, All,

On 2015-01-05 00:04 +0000, Williams Jr., Ernest L. spake thusly:
> I would like to submit a patch but receive the following error:
>
> [ernesto at localhost outgoing]$ git send-email --smtp-debug=1 --to buildroot at busybox.net --cc ernesto at slac.stanford.edu 0001-hdf5-new-package.patch
> fatal: 0001-hdf5-new-package.patch: 1277: patch contains a line longer than 998 characters
> warning: no patches were sent
>
> Indeed, there is a line longer 998 characters.  This is due to some auto generated code.
>
> Is there a way to get git send-email to ignore this and proceed?

Just run:  git help send-email

       --[no-]validate
           Perform sanity checks on patches. Currently, validation means
           the following:

           ·   Warn of patches that contain lines longer than 998
               characters; this is due to SMTP limits as described by
               http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt.

           Default is the value of sendemail.validate; if this is not
           set, default to --validate.

;-)

Thanks, that worked. :)

git send-email --smtp-debug=1 --no-validate --to buildroot at busybox.net --cc ernesto at slac.stanford.edu 0001-hdf5-new-package.patch