[Buildroot] setting up xorg in buildroot

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 23:57:02 UTC 2015

Hello Lou,

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2015 um 00:44 Uhr
> Von: "Peter Seiderer" <ps.report at gmx.net>
> An: "Lou Crittenden" <loucrittenden63 at gmail.com>
> Cc: buildroot at busybox.net
> Betreff: Re: setting up xorg in buildroot
>
> Hello Lou,
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:46:56PM -0600, Lou Crittenden wrote:
> > I was wondering how to set up X in buildroot to work with the waveshare32b
> > display, and to where it will work with the touchscreen we got working
> > earlier. I have xorg and xorg-server installed, but when I run it as root,
> > it outputs: "*Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting*" when
> > I run it on my raspberry pi. It outputs "server must be suid root", but
> > oddly when I run it in a qemu-based raspberry pi emulator, it starts up,
> > but I can't use a keyboard or mouse. I was also able to get X to start up
> > at boot by editing /etc/init.d/rcs, but with the same symptoms.
>
> Not much help here, I normaly run qt applications with linuxfb driver
> (without X) e.g.:
>
> $ some_qt_app -platform linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb1 -plugin evdevtouch:/dev/input/event3:rotate=270
>
> But tested KDrive/TinyX with my adafruit28 display.
>
> Enabled the following buildroot configs (dillo only as test application):
>
> BR2_PACKAGE_XORG7=y
> BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER=y
> BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER_KDRIVE_EVDEV=y
> BR2_PACKAGE_DILLO=y
>
> After build and deploy to target run the following on the target:
>
> $ X &
> $ export DISPLAY=localhost:0
> $ dillo
>
> should show the dillo web browser on your hdmi monitor.
>
> Or (after killing the previous X server, or reboot):
>
> $ X -fb /dev/fb1 &
> $ export DISPLAY=localhost:0
> $ dillo
>
> should show the dillo web browser on your waveshare32b display...
>
> Did not investigate how to configure input in case of KDrive yet...

Take a look at [1], the following worked for me (usb-keyboard, usb-mouse, no touch support
compiled in at the moment):

$ X -fb /dev/fb1 -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event0 -mouse evdev,,device=/dev/input/event2 &

Regards,
Peter

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8411596/how-to-attach-keyboard-to-tinyx-server