[Buildroot] [V4 1/2] A20-OLinuXino-Lime: new board (mainline)

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jul 7 20:32:06 UTC 2015

On 06/28/15 22:24, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Luca Ceresoli,
>
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:54:25 +0200, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>

>> In fact, we have several Cortex-A defconfigs that enable NEON (5 out of
>> 26) and EABIHF (9 out of 26):
>>
>> $ git grep -l  cortex_a -- configs/ |wc
>>       26      26     878
>> $ git grep -l  cortex_a -- configs/ | xargs grep -l EABIHF|wc
>>        9       9     308
>> $ git grep -l  cortex_a -- configs/ | xargs grep -l NEON|wc
>>        5       5     158
>> $
>>
>> But as I said, my understanding might be wrong.
>>
>> Any authoritative opinions on this?
>
> We don't have any strong position on this I believe. From my point of
> view, enabling EABIhf definitely makes sense when it is possible. And
> enabling NEON support also makes sense. However, using NEON as the FPU
> is a bad idea (i.e BR2_ARM_FPU_NEON=y is a bad idea).

 I agree. In Config.in.arm, we already default to the "best" floating point
where possible, so it's just for the _MAYBE_ variants that it's necessary to do
the right thing depending on the specific SoC.

 As to EABIHF, there we should probably switch the default in Config.in.arch.
It's good that we didn't do this earlier, to give people time to migrate their
configs, but EABIHF was introduced in 2013.08 so it should be safe now.

 And of course, in the defconfigs, it's best to make it explicit.

 Regards,
 Arnout