[Buildroot] Buildroot enhancement proposal: on starting a GUI service at boot

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:21:13 UTC 2015

Hello Developers,

One of the common use-case for an embedded system is to start a gui at
boot. Probably it will be the main point of interaction after all and
the most sensitive process in the whole system.

I'm thinking on adding a custom option to set correctly a gui service
to be started at boot, something that will make easier for a buildroot
user to start a custom gui service at boot instead of fighting with
overlay and service scipts/files.

Note that this gui service is different from a standard service: it
should be respawned if someting goes wrong and this cannot be done in
a normal busybox/systemv init script: for busybox/systemv it should be
added directly to /etc/inittab.

Actually I'm more oriented in adding an option into "System
configuration": a string that will contain the command line to be
added as a service. The matter is to individuate which init system is
in use and acting accordingly: adding a line in /etc/inittab for
busybox and systemv or adding a service file for systemd.

Aside from technical difficulty which is none, what could be the best
way to implement such behaviour? Is it a desirable feature for
buildroot?
If yes, what is the best approach to have it accepted, a "package", an
option, where?

I'm looking for advice! thank you!

Sincerely, Angelo
--