[Buildroot] Packages hosted on SourceForge

Brendan Heading brendanheading at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:36:06 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I spent a few hours walking down all of the packages (~200 in all, out of
~1630 total) hosted on a SourceForge download site to see if I could
identify any which could be fetched from a more authoritative download
location.

It turns out to be rather slim pickings; the vast majority of
these packages are hosted with SF as the canonical download site. Quite a
few use github for hosting the repositories, but still use sourceforge to
host the official release tarballs. In one or two cases the project
websites had a more authoritative download location, but requested that the
sourceforge site be used for load-handling reasons.

The simple candidates for having their upstream URL updated are as follows.
In some cases we'll need to rework the version number variables/download
paths slightly.

=========================

arptables
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ebtables/arptables/arptables-v$(ARPTABLES_VERSION)
new : ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/arptables/

ebtables
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ebtables/ebtables/ebtables-$(subst
.,-,$(EBTABLES_VERSION))
new : ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/ebtables/

freetype
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/freetype/freetype2/$(FREETYPE_VERSION)
new : http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/

iperf
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/iperf
new : https://iperf.fr/download/iperf_$(IPERF_VERSION)/

logsurfer
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/logsurfer/logsurfer/logsurfer-$(LOGSURFER_VERSION)
new : http://www.crypt.gen.nz/logsurfer/logsurfer-1.8.tar.gz

msgpack
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/msgpack/msgpack/cpp
new :
https://github.com/msgpack/msgpack-c/releases/download/cpp-$(MSGPACK_VERSION)/

mutt
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mutt/mutt
new : ftp://ftp.mutt.org/mutt

poco
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/poco/sources/poco-$(POCO_VERSION_MAJOR)
new : http://pocoproject.org/releases/poco-$(POCO_VERSION_MAJOR)/

wine -
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/wine/Source/
new: http://ftp.winehq.org/pub/wine/source/$(WINE_VERSION)/

zlib
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/zlib/$(ZLIB_VERSION)
new : http://zlib.net/

=========================

I will prepare a patch to fix the above.

Some packages appear at first glance to have authoritative releases hosted
outside of sourceforge, but closer examination suggests that we should not
update these yet.

=========================

procps_ng - project moved to gitlab, however no downloads appear to
be hosted there
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/procps-ng/Production
new :

tcl - project website provides local FTP link, but appears to
prefer sourceforge.
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/
new :

tcllib - canonical download site requires a login. Sourceforge is being
maintained.
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/tcllib/tcllib/$(TCLLIB_VERSION)
new :

openjpeg -migrated to github, but the new 1.5.2 archive does not match the
old one - files are missing.
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openjpeg.mirror/$(OPENJPEG_VERSION)
new :

libmad - don't fix. Site appears to move older versions into an "archive"
directory which could cause buildroot builds to fail later.
old : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mad/libmad/$(LIBMAD_VERSION)
new : ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/mpeg/

madplay - don't fix. Site appears to move older versions into an "archive"
directory which could cause buildroot builds to fail later.
old :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mad/madplay/$(MADPLAY_VERSION)
new : ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/mpeg/