[Buildroot] Unable to login as root to new buildroot system

Adam Baxter voltagex at voltagex.org
Sat Jul 25 00:25:00 UTC 2015

I'm using the latest Git version of buildroot and the following config -
https://github.com/voltagex/serial-vm-buildroot

It builds and boots with qemu just fine, but no matter what combination of
getty/no getty/shell/root password I use, I can't login. Even with a blank
root password I'm told that the password is incorrect, and I can't work out
how to make it boot straight to a root prompt.

Can anyone help? The repo above should be able to be built with make
serial_defconfig, but if there's still hardcoded paths to a 'voltagex' or
'ubuntu' user you'll have to let me know how to remove them.

I've read http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2012-July/056177.html
and similar threads found by googling "buildroot root login"

Regards,
Adam Baxter