[Buildroot] CMake and VERBOSE variable

Samuel Martin s.martin49 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 11:57:32 UTC 2015

All,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Cédric Marie
<cedric.marie at openmailbox.org> wrote:

>> Does this mean that the VERBOSE env. var. should now be handled by the
>> cmake-infra?
>

> No, you can still build with "make VERBOSE=1" and CMake will take it into
> account.

Not really convenient :(
AFAICS, VERBOSE is not an official env. var. altering Buildroot's
behavior, unlike V [1].

If VERBOSE should only be set for cmake-based package, in addition to
globally unexport it, I'd prefer:
- either fix the cmake infra to keep the same behavior from the user
point of view;
- or update the doc.

I prefer the 1st option.

> There is nothing to change in cmake-infra.
>
> The patch only prevents from systematically exporting VERBOSE when empty,
> which has a specific meaning for CMake - intentional or not, I don't know.

I think it is intentional (given [2] and the number of occurences of
"\<VERBOSE\>" in the cmake code base ;-]).

[1] http://nightly.buildroot.org/#make-tips
[2] http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Is_there_an_option_to_produce_more_.27verbose.27_compiling.3F

Samuel