[Buildroot] integrating MariaDB Galera Cluster into BR

Sylvain Raybaud sylvain.raybaud at green-communications.fr
Tue May 5 10:31:01 UTC 2015

Hi

Thanks for your fast reply! Sorry mine is late, I was on vacation.

On 24/04/2015 19:54, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Sylvain, All,
>
> On 2015-04-24 16:49 +0200, Sylvain Raybaud spake thusly:

>> a) Create a meta-package, for example "mysql compatible DB", the
>> selection of which would let the user choose between MariaDB
>> Galera Cluster or MySQL?
>>
>> b) Integrate MariaDB Galera Cluster into MySQL package and let
>> the user choose which implementation he wants?
>>
>> c) Make these packages mutually exclusive using "depends on !"?
>
> I would say either b) or c). Which one depends on how MariaDB
> Galera is seen with respect to MySQL:
>
> 1- is it a completely different implementation that is 100%
> compatible?
>
> 2- is it a fork that is 100% compatible?
>
> 3- is it a fork that is not 100% compatible?
>
> For 1 or 2, I'd say go with b), otherwise go for c).

MariaDB is supposed to be a "drop-in replacement for MySQL" so I
suppose I should go for b).
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
lists some differences but it seems that everything you can do with
MySQL you can do with MariaDB.

Does option b) allow dependencies specific to MariaDB?

> If you decide for c), then only one can depend on not the ther
> (otherwise you'd have a crcular dependency). That is, something
> like:
>
> config BR2_PKG_MYSQL bool "mysql"
>
> config BR2_PKG_MARIADB bool "mariadb" depends on !BR2_PKG_MYSQL
>
> Anyway, if you're not sure, go for c); we will review the patch,
> and we can guide you based on the details.
>
> in any case, be sure to read:
>
> - the section(s) from the "Adding new packages to Buildroot"
> chapter, that applies to mariadb (e.g. generic, autotools,
> cmake...):
> http://buildroot.net/downloads/manual/manual.html#adding-packages
>
> - the section on how to send patches:
> http://buildroot.net/downloads/manual/manual.html#submitting-patches