[Buildroot] Build Issue when depending on systemd

Roman Akopov adontz at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:54:09 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have C++/Qt application which does a lot of things, and among them,
forwards journald logs to web service. I failed to build it correctly
under buildroot-2015-02.

Config.in looks like this

config BR2_PACKAGE_DASHBOARD_CLIENT
     bool "dashboard-client"
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_HAS_LIBEGL
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5_GL_AVAILABLE
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5_JSCORE_AVAILABLE
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5BASE_EGLFS
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5BASE_NETWORK
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5BASE_PNG
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5BASE_WIDGETS
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_QT5GRAPHICALEFFECTS
     depends on BR2_PACKAGE_SYSTEMD
     help
       DASHBOARD client

and I get the following compilation error on clean build

fatal error: systemd/sd-journal.h: No such file or directory
  #include <systemd/sd-journal.h>
                                 ^
compilation terminated.

This is because systemd is build after my package, I see this from log.
If I unselect my package, build system, reselect my package and build
again everything build just fine. Also,

make dashboard-client-graph-depends

outputs

Getting dependencies for ['dashboard-client']
Getting dependencies for ['toolchain', 'qt5base', 'qt5multimedia',
'qt5graphicaleffects', 'qt5imageformats', 'qt5declarative', 'qt5webkit']
Getting dependencies for ['host-flex', 'host-bison',
'toolchain-buildroot', 'libpng', 'host-ruby', 'jpeg', 'host-pkgconf',
'libegl', 'zlib', 'openssl', 'qt5xmlpatterns', 'sqlite', 'host-gperf',
'fontconfig', 'pcre', 'icu', 'libgles']
Getting dependencies for ['host-gcc-final', 'jpeg-turbo', 'host-m4',
'expat', 'readline', 'rpi-userland', 'ncurses', 'host-icu', 'freetype']
Getting dependencies for ['host-libtool', 'host-automake', 'host-gmp',
'host-autoconf', 'host-mpfr', 'host-binutils', 'host-ncurses', 'glibc',
'host-mpc', 'host-cmake']
Getting dependencies for ['host-gawk', 'linux-headers', 'host-gcc-initial']

And there is no mention of systemd in generated PDF too.

So either there I declare dependency on systemd incorrectly (then what
is the correct way?), or there is some dependency resolution problem.

How can I debug this issue?

With best regards,
Roman