[Buildroot] [git commit] czmq: unbreak static linking

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Tue May 12 22:02:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> I agree that it would be better if we could get this kind of fixes
 >> upstream. I don't know how receptive upstream will be as this doesn't
 >> affect "normal people" though.

 > Well, upstream zeromq should be able to accept patches making their .pc
 > file more correct.

True.

 >> That is arguable correct, but things are a bit more complicated as:
 >>
 >> - libzerozmq is written in C++ and uses libstdc++ but exposes a C api
 >> - czmq is a higher level wrapper also written in C
 >> - Test program (czmq_selftest) is a C program linking against libczmq
 >> (and in term libzeromq)

 > Right, but that still doesn't answer whether using gcc to link a
 > C program against a C++ library is correct or not :-)

I believe it is. How are people using E.G. libczmq to know that they
need to link with g++ just because a library libczmq uses happens to use
C++?

 >> >  * Or using gcc to link with a C++ library is correct, and in this
 >> >    case, libzmq.pc should be fixed to include -lstdc++ in Libs.private.
 >>
 >> While this is correct, it is not directly related to this. Czmq doesn't
 >> use its own .pc file to know how to link the selftest program.

 > I'm not talking about fixing the czmq .pc file, but the zeromq one. If
 > zeromq uses C++, then its .pc file should have -lstdc++, no?

Ahh, now I get it. Yes, fixing libzmq.pc to have a Libs.privat: -lstdc++
should also work.

I'll give it a try.

czmq seems to be missing a dependency on host-pkgconf though.

--
Venlig hilsen,
Peter Korsgaard