[Buildroot] Add [user at host dir] back to skeleton /etc/profile

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Oct 7 05:08:13 UTC 2015

Hi David,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 04:59:06PM -0600, David Van Arnem wrote:
> I noticed there was a commit pushed Saturday (f93c692c) which removed some
> bash-specific stuff from the skeleton shell profile in /etc/profile.  The
> default behavior for the shell prompt now is to only display "$" or "#",
> without the [user at host dir] prefix.  I just subscribed to the list today so
> I missed out on any discussion on this; was there a reason the [user at host
> dir] prefix was not left in the changes ("export PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "")?  I
> have not encountered a Linux distribution that does not display this or a
> similar prompt, and I think it would be beneficial to add it back in.  I
> agree that the aliases, colors, etc should stay removed.

Buildroot generally provides by default only a minimum working configuration.
The default shell (Busybox ash) does not display this command prompt prefix
either, unless configured. Citing the good advice in commit f93c692c log
message:

    If the user has a specific needs, it needs to be added in
    /etc/profile.d/ by a post-build script.

baruch