[Buildroot] First rootfile system build using buildroot

Vicente Olivert Riera Vincent.Riera at imgtec.com
Tue Sep 1 12:14:09 UTC 2015

Dear Dinesh Guleria,

On 09/01/2015 01:02 PM, Dinesh Guleria wrote:
> First build is successful. Some questions from my side.
>
> Following images are generated :--
> /output/images
> rootsfs.tar
> rootsfs.tar.gz
>

> 1> Why this fakeroot is downloaded ?

Because it's needed when generating the image files. Some actions
performed when creating the images would need superuser privileges, but
you run (or should run) Buildroot using a normal user account. fakeroot
fixes that issue by pretending a UID and GID of 0 (root).

> 2>  Also in the name of the crosscompiler tool chain their is word
> "686-pc" does it means tool chain for intel 686 PC ?

It means the toolchain binaries are built for that architecture, but
since it's a cross-toolchain, it can generate code for others.

> 3> How to configure the busybox ? Build root make menuconfig does not
> provide entry to configure the busy box ?
> /dl
> arm-2014.05-29-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-1686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
> fakeroot_1.18.4.orig.tar.bz2
> busybox-1.23.2.tar.bz2

make busybox-menuconfig

http://buildroot.org/manual.html#_configuration_of_other_components

> 4> Is this the place where toolchain is unzipped ?
> /output/host/opt/ext-toolchain  location contains :--
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi
> bin
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
> lib