[Buildroot] What would it take to add LZIP support for package downloads?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Sep 8 20:24:39 UTC 2015

On 08-09-15 19:14, Steve Kenton wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a package for ddrescue
> https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
>
> and it's only available compressed with lzip (tar.lz)
> http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip.html
>
> A manual trial run seems to indicate that it's not a supported format for downloaded packages

> /ssd/bcdist/buildroot-2015.05/dl/ddrescue-1.19.tar.lz | tar --strip-components=1 -C /ssd/bcdist/buildroot-2015.05/output/build/ddrescue-1.19  -xf -
> /bin/bash: /ssd/bcdist/buildroot-2015.05/dl/ddrescue-1.19.tar.lz: Permission denied
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>
> So, what would it take to add lzip support for downloaded packages?
> Easy or Oh My?

 The simple solution is to extend the suitable-extractor function with .lz ->
lzip, and let dependencies.sh check that it's installed on the host. That's a
one-line change. But I don't think that many distros have lzip installed, so
it's a bit of a hassle for the user.

 The intermediate solution is to make the ddrescue package depend on host-lzip
(which obviously you have to add as well), and define a custom extractor.

 The full solution is to extend the DL_TOOLS_DEPENDENCIES handling with
dependencies on the host package rather than checks in dependencies.sh.

 I propose you go for the simple solution :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout