[Buildroot] [RFC 3/6] system: add mdev-only /dev management (without devtmpfs)

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Sep 14 20:53:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

 > In principle, it seems better to me if the devices are all set up
 > before starting anything else, so if it works, I'm all for S00mdev. The
 > only question is whether mdev logs things to syslog, and if so what
 > happens to those messages that are emitted before syslog is started.

It doesn't:

git grep log mdev.c
mdev.c://usage:       "If /dev/mdev.log file exists, debug log will be appended to it."
mdev.c:static void open_mdev_log(const char *seq, unsigned my_pid)
mdev.c: int logfd = open("mdev.log", O_WRONLY | O_APPEND);
mdev.c: if (logfd >= 0) {
mdev.c:         xmove_fd(logfd, STDERR_FILENO);
mdev.c:         open_mdev_log(seq, my_pid);

So only to stderr (and /dev/mdev.log if it exists).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard