[Buildroot] Using packages overrides

Aleksandar Simeonov aleksandar at barix.com
Wed Apr 6 08:44:04 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Could someone help me to understand how to use properly the package
override in BR? I'm trying to override a BR package by defining the
BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE="$(BR2_EXTERNAL)/local.mk"

and putting in local.mk the right

PKGFOO_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR = $(BR2_EXTERNAL)/package/override/sysvinit

The problem is that whatever package I try to override, the build
complains that it has been redefined-once in the original BR2 package
folder, and second time in the override folder. Am I misinterpreting the
BR user manual chapter 8.12.6 ? Can we use Config.in and pkgfoo.mk files
in the override folder, or we have to share those of the original
package? That wouldn't make anysense, because the user may also need to
customise the .mk file. What I'm missing/doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex Simeonov