[Buildroot] Making a Bootable USB Image for x86_64

Jimmy hello at 86pixels.com
Tue Aug 23 03:11:51 UTC 2016

Greetings all,

I know this has been asked a lot, but I have been sifting through the
archives and Google in order to find the best way to make a bootable USB
image of my buildroot installation for an x86 based machine. I have done
the following:

1. Generated a tar image of the root filesystem via the configuration menu
2. Selected grub2 from bootloaders with the i386-pc platform
3. Created a 1Gb EXT2FS partition with 1mb of space preceding on the USB
device itself
4. Extracted the rootfs tar to the USB device on the ext2 partition
5. Ran the following from the main buildroot directory (as root):
./output/host/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup -b
./output/host/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot.img -c ./output/images/grub.img
-d . /dev/sdb

The command immediately exits with a "segmentation fault (Core dumped)".
I can assert the following:
a. grub-bios-setup exists in the directory specified.
b. boot.img exists in the directory specified
c. grub.img exists in the directory specified
d. /dev/sdb exists and is the USB device

Has anyone else ran into this? I'm trying to read up all I can on the
issue but I'm running out of options, and I have a feeling its something
really simple.

Thank you so much!
--
-- Jimmy